Views

Saturday 5 February 2011

4 Cubes

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter"

(If I was writing a novel this would be psychoanalytical auto-biographical teen non-fiction...reference)

I started this first blog post with a goal: To make something worth reading. I didn't want for some random(er), stumbling across this pitiful entry due to a co-incidence of Google-search mishap and blind luck to believe he/she had wasted his/her time in reading what i have to say.

So far this has not happened. I went through several topics; normality and individuality, existence, politics, television, wind-up rats, obesity in Nauru. Do i want to write about those things? Yes! Can I write about them? No! I can think about them though. The discussions themselves are impossible, and i thought it would be pretentious to assume otherwise! And so I've comfortably lead you, my weary traveller, into the light of today's true topic. Argument.

I despise and yet love arguments. Arguing makes me feel ill, like poking myself in the face repeatedly with a wind-up rat until i can't see properly because of the swelling. I don't like having to come up with reasons for my beliefs, whatever they may be. Why should i have to justify why my favourite colour is teal, or that Orwell's 1984 is my favourite book, or that arranging the 4 illusion cubes (Xmas present) on my desk in weird shapes makes me smile? By contrast, arguments fascinate me as they do everyone. Opinion breeds conflict and conflict breeds argument. I admire the ability to argue, and in some ways i wished i'd learnt rhetorical skills from the Greek masters. To argue and persuade is to have power after all, that is the politician's way. It is because of this association of power and argument that i find it annoying. In a world where expression is power, i am at odds. I can't argue to save my life! I prefer to shout something funny/random to change the subject or leave mid conversation. I'll never have the power to do something until i have the means/capacity to express my opinions. This is what i hope to achieve from this blog i s'pose.... I have a feeling I'm not really saying anything...Fuck it I'm off to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment